Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving

What am I thankful for? This seems like such an easy question to answer but it's really a hard question to really appreciate your answers. Easy to say - my family, my friends, God, a good job, a loving husband, our health, our sweet boys...those just roll off the tongue without a thought. But what about the deeper level of those things? I am thankful that has God provided such amazing things for me. I had two amazing parents that loved me with all they had. God provided for me by giving me those parents. It gave me the opportunity to be whoever I chose to be. I never had to worry about hunger, health, protection, salvation, love and well being. These were things they did for me. I didn't understand this privilege as a child or even as a young adult. It wasn't until I had my own children and felt the responsibilities of being a parent, that I realized my blessings. As a parent, I now also realize the privileges of being a mother. There is more love in my heart than I knew possible. There is more laughter, tears, joy and pain than I could have even understood before now. It is amazing and amazingly hard and again God has provided for me by giving me an amazing partner. Scott and I have a bond deeper than the day we met, deeper than when we said "I do" and thought we did...it is just something that is deep in my soul - something fairy tales are made of - yet it's not a fairy tale at all. It is my real life, the life we created together with all the love, all the hard times, all the learning experiences, and all the mountains and valleys. We survive each day and make a choice to do it again and again, together. I am blessed for walking into speech class all those years ago, blessed we had study groups, blessed that my group was short one person, blessed he volunteered to be in our group, blessed me thought I was "cute" and blessed that he asked for my phone number. My heart would flutter every time he would call, my heart would race when he would look me in the eyes or hold my hand. I remember that feeling of anticipation sitting next to him in the movies just hoping his arm would brush mine. I could have never known then, what I know now. It is better, harder and more joyful than I dreamed my life would be. We have amazing friends and family; with more love and laughter than we know what to do with most of the time. What a blessing. I am truly overwhelmed with joy just thinking about these gifts. I am thankful for what God has provided.

My list of the "little" things I am thankful for:
My cameras - the big one for taking beautiful pictures on "auto" and my little one for toughing it out in my purse for the past four years.
Sweet Daisy dog.
My laptop, my old computer was slow and old.
My blog, I feel such a since of accomplishment from it.
The word Mommy and many times for when the word Daddy is used instead.
All Music, I love it so very much.
The dollar jewelry store out at Trader's Village.
The trees that turn neon orange in the fall, there aren't very many of them in Texas but they are my favorite.
My cell phone in traffic.
Photographs and the memories attached to them.
My magazine subscriptions.
Food in general and new recipes.
Kroger
That 161 will hit I-20 in 2012.
Clearance racks.
The repeat button on my i-pod and a new favorite song to get lost in for a few days.
Dr. Pepper.
The feeling of sand beneath my toes and sun on my shoulders.
The smell of fresh and clean babies.
My wedding ring and what it stands for.
The internet - seriously, can you imagine life without it?
That when Scott's alarm goes off I still have 45 more minutes to sleep.
Texas.
A good pen. (you know the ones that write with a think ink line)
Goodnight Moon.
Gossip.
25 more days of vacation every January.