Saturday, November 7, 2009

Trick or Treating!

We started a tradition on Nolan's first Halloween to invite all of the grandparents over to our house for trick or treating. I make snacks and apple cider and the boys provide the entertainment. When they get bigger I know that this tradition will stop because they will want to go to carnivals or out out with friends but for now it works out perfectly. We always have a fun night full of treats. We have the best family ever and they love these boys so much. Isn't that obvious from the snuggle bug pictures below? Becca came over early to borrow some stuff for her Halloween costume and to see the boys. She witnessed the HUGE fiasco that happened when we were trying to get Hudson into the dang clown costume. We knew it would be a fight. I tried to bribe him with the fact that he would only get candy IF he put on the costume. That was a no go. He needed something a little more tangible to be persuaded. Scott sure did go get a Reese peanut butter cup, unwrap it and hold it over Hud while I forced him into the costume. Becca and Nolan had to go in the other room just to keep from laughing. It worked and the second I had him dressed (shoes and all because I am no fool and knew I wouldn't have a second chance) Scott handed him the candy. He shoved it in all in one giant bite. I had to dive for the wipes so that I could combat the chocolate slobber. Nice. He ate it and I thought we avoided a meltdown. Wrong! He was SO mad when the candy was gone and he realized he was in the stupid costume. I had to hold him for about 15 minutes until the trauma wore off and he was ready to get down and play. Whew! We made it! I did not even force the issue of a wig or the clown hat. I had put face paint on his little nose and cheeks which was wiped off before I could even get a picture. Nolan LOVED putting on his pirate costume and was so in character with his "Arr", "Ahoy Matey" and "Shiver Me Timbers" all night long. This year was really fun because of course Nolan completely knows what to do for trick or treating and Hudson caught on super quick with Nolan's lead. We kept telling Hudson to yell "trick or treat" when the people would open the door and it was so cute because he would yell "Trick or Treating" everytime. We went up and down our street and then back home to visit with all our family. Nolan doesn't care about candy but was so excited when he went through it and found a piece of bubblegum. Hudson loved all of it and had about 10 pieces before we had to take it from him. They just couldn't be anymore different and I just love them to pieces.