Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson

It's weird night tonight...Michael Jackson died today at the age of 50. It really saddens me although I'm not sure why. I know he was weird and had a lot of issues but I just never knew how much of it was real or blown out of proportion by the press. I am sad not because of who he is today but because of the loss of a childhood icon for me. We loved him back then. When I hear his songs I am flooded with good memories. Those songs are truly part of the soundtrack of my childhood. I think of watching the Thriller video for the first time down at Zoe's house and being scared for days. I remember begging for a Michael Jackson folder when I started first grade. (it had the picture of him with the tiger on it) We listened to the BAD album all night long at my 3rd grade slumber party. Kimmie and I made many mixed tapes with MJ songs on them to listen to in the backyard playhouse. I remember watching the world premiere of the Black or White video with Becca and Michelle and us thinking he was so cool. I am sure there are many more if I really sat and thought about it. Nolan really likes Beat It and asked me to put it on his MP3 player a few months ago. When I told him that he passed away - Nolan said it best when he said "Well we will have his songs forever." It's just sad to lose an icon.