Sunday, May 31, 2009

Nolan is five years old!!!






Friday was Nolan's 5th birthday. I remember five years ago on that day when I first heard his cry. It was the weirdest thing to hear him after all those months of feeling him. It was the one moment that I remember about his birth - people try to prepare you and tell you how you will feel but when it actually happens it's amazing - this little baby just comes into your life and everything you thought you knew changes. The sound of his cry was the most amazing part about it for some reason - it was like that sound validated what was happening - he was really FINALLY here. It made me cry when I heard his voice because it was so overwhelming and wonderful. I'm tearing up just thinking about that moment. I think about the amount of love I felt at that moment and then I think about how I didn't even know him yet. He impresses me everyday - I love to hear his thoughts. It cracks me up.

Nolan at five years old:

Things Nolan Loves:
any type of vehicle
anything with wheels
any type of machine
tractors and construction vehicles
monster trucks
shoes - his vans, his new pumas and of course his boots
Dr. Seuss books
playing outside in the flower beds with trucks and tractors
Riding his Big Wheel at MiMi's
NaNa's yard
playing outside period
going to Tractor Supply
driving PaPa's boat
going on road trips
wrestling with Daddy
playing Lego's
Mommy to sing him to sleep each night with the same four songs since he was two - you are my sunshine,itsy bitsy spider, hagolena magolena (a Halloween song) and the mini cooper song (a song I made up when he was two because it were his favorite car)
milk in a sippy cup when he watches Curious George (see, he is still little sometimes!)

Things Nolan Does NOT Love:
food in general
sharing
spiders
taking naps (which doesn't happen very often anymore but sometimes he is so worn out we make him take one!)
doing baby things or being treated like a baby
Hudson when he has a dirty food face (which is why he almost threw up at the birthday party - Hud had icing all over his face and it was making him gag)
being quiet

Friday he busted into our room announcing it was his birthday and asking if he could open presents...um, it was 5:20! No, you can get in bed with us until the alarm goes off. We let him open presents before work. MiMi came to our house on Friday (since the contractors are STILL working on our shower) and he started the day with donuts. Christi came and picked him up about 9:30 and took him to Target to let him pick out his present and then they went to school to eat lunch with Brent and Ryleigh. I left work early to spend the afternoon with my sweet boy and he helped me bake cupcakes. When Scott got home from work we went to dinner at Cracker Barrel (Nolan's choice!) and had breakfast for dinner and picked out a prize from the old country store. It was a great day for this big 5 year old!