Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Becca and Conner's Christmas Dinner Party

Becca and I always feel like we get the shaft when it comes to holiday cooking. Every other relative we have take up all of the "good" things every year and we are left to come up with some random side dish that no one will care about anyways. This year we decided to hijack some of the sides and actually make some of the main dishes. I took the mac and cheese from my mom and of course put my own spin on it by throwing the left over cheeseballs in it with garlic breadcrumbs on top! Becca then had a great idea to hist a dinner party where we could have a non-traditional/traditional Christmas dinner. Everyone brought a dish with a little "twist" to the regular favorites. Everything was SO yummy! I think we all really enjoyed eating the special stuff that all the older crown would never allow! :) I am all for traditional food but I really liked the idea of getting to make everything this way too. Christi made this awesome corn casserole, Mindy made yummo dressing (which I even stole the recipe for and attached below), I made Gruene Beans (from the Gristmill down in Gruene Texas), Becca made homemade rolls with handmade garlic butter, Conner cooked ribs, plus there were plenty of other yummy things! I think a great time was had by all!

Jalapeno Bacon Stuffing
In a large deep skillet, saute 1/4 pound diced bacon in 2 tablespoons butter for 5 minutes; transfer to paper towels.

Season bacon grease with salt and pepper and add 1 chopped shallot, 1 (1 hot or 2 mild) diced jalapeno, 1-2 clove garlic and 1 tbsp chili powder; cook 5 minutes.

Pour in 3 cups vegetable broth. Simmer 5 minutes. (Additional seasoning to taste if you want)

In a large bowl, mix 2 eggs, 1.5 cup diced pepper jack cheese and the bacon.

Add to the bowl 8 cups toasted white bread cubes, 6 cups crumbled cornbread and the hot broth mixture.

We forgot the cilantro until everything was in the pan and just topped the pan with some, but I think it would be better mixed in.

Gently toss the stuffing, then spread in a buttered 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Dot the top with butter (optional), bake 30-40 minutes at 350 (until desired texture).