Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Chinese Christmas 2009

We get together every year with our extended family for a big round of Chinese Christmas. This is something that we have done since I was a little kid. I was so little that I didn't even get to do it with the adults the first few years... we had a kids round but then we all grew up. :) I would guess that we have been doing it for about 15 years. It's a family tradition that my grandparents and great-aunt and great-uncle started. I am so thankful that they did! I remember when we first started doing it I would also have to explain to everyone what it was because no one had heard of it. It is one those events that I really look forward to each year. I love my dad's side of the family, everyone is hilarious and witty, it really makes for a good time. Over the years there have been MANY gag gifts given...including this NASTY dollar store cologne called "Talley Ho", silver car wheel spinners, a reading light that you strap to your head, an adult sized baby onesie, and a giant bra (like seriously one cup would have held a basket ball), a multi-pack of Du-rags, weird sculptures and many many more. Most of the gifts are good gifts and the gag gifts are usually accompanied with a giftcard which makes it even funnier to watch our family fighting over Du-rags. The other great part of Chinese Christmas is the FOOD. I am not talking just a little food...everyone brings a couple of different snacks plus a dessert and there are a lot of people. It is ridiculous how much stuff there is to eat. The picture below is just one of the tables that was full of food. Hudson had a great time sneaking treats and eating junk the whole afternoon. This year it was at my Granny and PaPa's house. PaPa has a train that goes around his tree and the boys (including my youngest cousin Matt) had fun playing with it.