Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Nolan's First Day of Kindergarten

I started a post but thought I would go ahead and post the pics now and come back with the text later when I have time to finish it! (You know it's gonna be a long sappy one!) Here are some pics of our sweet, happy kindergartner....who LOVES school so far! I love the first picture because you can see how excited he was!

PS - How is it that I can could wake up with a school aged kid and a big zit on the same day??? Ugh! If I have be thirty with a "big" kid, could I at least have clear skin! Ha ha!


Here is my post - I finished it...

I have thought about this day for a very long time. I can still remember my first day of school - I remember my outfit, my new backpack and the shoes that I just had to have. I was not a shy child (I am sure this is such a shock - ha ha!) and I was very excited about my big day. I didn't cry, my mom didn't cry (at least not in front of me) it was a very exciting, very happy day! I loved my teacher and I loved school! I wanted Nolan's first day to be the same. I had planned to make him blueberry pancakes and bacon for breakfast (his favorite) but the night before he asked if we could do donuts instead. That was fine and a little easier on me for the first hectic and emotional morning! I got up early and went and picked up donuts for us. Came home and woke up the boys and we all sat down for a quick morning breakfast. I wish that it could be like that every weekday morning but with Nolan's start time at 8:20, I will be taking him and Scott will start taking Hudson to Nana's or MiMi's house. That will be weird to not have both boys in the morning but I just can't take Hud out there after dropping Nolan off at school that would be way to late for me to get to work! After breakfast, we all got ready for the big day! Nolan looked precious and was SO excited. He could hardly wait to leave the house. Scott put Hudson in the stroller and we walked to the school. It was such a weird walk. I have thought about it many times when I would see other families walking past our house to the school. It's only about three houses down from us, it will be so nice to walk him over in the mornings and not have to fight the traffic. His elementary seems like a great school. We bought our house in this school district on purpose because of all the great things we had heard about the school. We found out last Thursday that Nolan was going to have the same teacher that evaluated him. That was good because we were able to meet her again on "meet the teacher" night. Nolan really likes her and she seems to like him too. On Thursday when we visited her classroom he was able to see his locker and his place at the table so that he would know what to expect on the first day. I think that is great for all the little kiddos - it takes a lot of the unknown out of the first day. Nolan was especially excited about the computers in Mrs. Maurer's classroom. She told him that a computer was a great learning tool and was a lot like his brain. The more information you save on it the smarter you are. When we were leaving meet the teacher night - she said "Bye Nolan, I will see you Monday!" he said "Bye, I will bring my laptop!" She then paused and said "Oh honey you don't have to bring your computer from home you can use this one." and he quickly replied "No - this laptop!" and pointed to his brain. She laughed and asked if he is always like this and I just smiled and said yes - hope you think it's this cute all the time. Ha Ha! (Sorry for the side note but that was too funny not to share.) Anyways, fast forward to Monday and my confident 5 year old was fine when going to class. We walked in and dropped off his lunch box, put his back-pack in his locker and he went straight to his seat and said good bye. He was done with us, I was lucky to get a picture with him. Hudson on the other hand, was not too happy about the school day. He cried when we left without Nolan. He cried the whole way back home saying "I go to school!" and "Nolan, come on" motioning for him to leave with us. It was so sad. Poor little guy will be lonely without him. It was a good distraction for me - I didn't even cry. Amazing! He was just so happy and ready. It's such a good feeling to know that we have a child that is excited about school, life and the world - I just hope he stays that way!