Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Me + P
Scott called me last month when I was at the lake with my mom to let me know that they had just announced that Paul McCartney was going to be playing at the new Cowboys Stadium in August. I was in shock - it was something we absolutely had to do. Let me back up a little and give you a brief run down on me + P. (Paul McCartney of course) My dad was always a music guru. He knew every artist and every genre of music. We listened to everything at out house growing up. He would play "name that tune" with us in the car on any road trip and could typically guess a song in a few seconds flat everytime. Music was just kinda his thing. He never played an instrument or sang in a band - he just loved music. In fact, I don't really think that my dad could even sing very well. (might be where I got the lack of vocal abilities!) I have said it before but it's worth saying again, music just makes the soundtrack of our lives. That is the amazing thing about music - it takes you back instantly to a time or place. I love that about it. Growing up we of course knew who the Beatles where, I knew that John Lennon had died when I was just a baby but really that was about it. My feelings toward the Beatles was much different than that of my father. He KNEW them, he had real memories of them, he related to their music in a way I know I will never have the privilege of doing. As did many many other lucky people on this earth. When I was a sophomore in high school the Beatles released a new album. The first project for them in like 25 years (or something close to that). It was a BIG project - they unearthed lots of old original tracks recorded by the Beatles in their early years. There were three parts to the Anthology albums and a huge documentary to go with it. It was a collection like no other. When it was to be released they had a special on TV about it and showed part of the documentary. I watched it with my dad. That was really the first time I began to understand what and who The Beatles really were. It was so fascinating to me - maybe I was just at the right age or it was that my dad really opened up about a lot of stories while we were watching it and his "take" on what was happening in the world during that time. It was like history lesson that I really enjoyed. I then wanted to learn everything I could about them and hear all their music. I really became a bit obsessed with them during that time. I don't even know what it was about them that sucked me in all those years after their height of fame but isn't that how it is with every icon in history? They just have "it" - whatever that might be! I just remember being so impressed with all the their music - how creative and unique it was. I also realized how many Beatles songs I had known but didn't know it was them. I did have memories of their songs, just different ones than my parents. Their music was copied by many and I was surprised how I knew the remakes of their songs but never knew it was a Beatles song until then. I am sure that is sad to some people but to me it made me even that much more amazed at their talent. I hung their posters on my walls, I bought their music, I wore their t-shirts...it was Beatlemania. (Okay, well maybe not but in my little world it was!) I think I have always had a thing for old stuff - just like my 65 Mustang that my dad restored for me. It was fitting that i loved the 60's so much with my Beatles and my car. Anyways, that it what started my love for them and why it was such a special night to get to go see Paul McCartney play. We had floor seats and had a fantastic view. They didn't allow cameras in but of course I snuck mine in anyway and snapped a few pics. I was fearful they would take it away but happy with the few I got! The stadium was cool but not quite as big as I thought it would be. Weird, I know. He was amazing and put on the best show. Lots of Beatles and Wings songs - all of which I LOVE. He played for three hours and it was AWESOME! Something I will probably never see again. I love Scott for understanding and sharing my love in the Beatles. We both were in tears a few times during the night. It definitely goes down in the record books for one of the best nights of my life.


