Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Kiss Your Brain

Nolan had a Kindergarten assessment last week. This was exciting because he was going to meet with a teacher to get a benchmark to start the school year. He practiced his letters and numbers at MiMi's before I came to pick him up. In the car we talked about his school and what they would probably ask him. When we got there, Nolan walked right in and introduced himself to the teacher (so cute) and she took him back to talk with him. I went to the cafeteria to pick up his school supplies and to check out the different things the school was selling. It's gonna be a battle from here on out with school crap to buy. I know that, but for right now it's super exciting! I want him to have the school shirt, the yearbook, the pencil bag, etc! Poor Hudson, will probably have to use Nolan's hand-me-downs and I wont buy him a thing. Ha Ha! I also had to fill out a little form on Nolan and answer questions such as "Does your child share?", "Does your child play well with others?". My response on a lot of the questions was "sometimes" YIKES! It's the truth; no point in making my kid into some sort of saint when they will know the truth after the first few days. :) At the bottom of the page they asked for any additional comments and so I put "Nolan is a very smart, very strong-willed child." Let them draw their own conclusions. The teacher and Nolan came back right after I finished the form. She told me that Nolan said that he is the smartest kid in the school. I then told her that I didn't that we would have an issue with self-confidence. She laughed. She then told me that they have a saying that she told Nolan about. When you do something that helps you learn then she tells them "Kiss Your Brain" kinda like a pat on the back but it's a kiss for your brain instead. She said that most of the kids just listen and nod like they understand what she is telling them and then at the end of their evaluation she tells them to "Kiss Your Brain" because they did a good job. She knows that they typically don't really get the concept but that it's something they say all year in school so after a while they get it. She then told me that she told Nolan about the "Kiss Your Brain" saying and he nodded - she then asked him to write his name. Nolan wrote his name and then slammed down the pencil and kissed the palm of his hand and slapped his forehead and said "Yep - Kiss My Brain". She said it made her laugh so hard - she has never had a student that has done that before. I just smiled and said "Like I said, I am not really worried about Nolan having a lack of self-confidence." We both laughed. We are off to a great school year and it doesn't even start until next week!