Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cards for Crazies!

Here is an email I received today:

Hi Ivy,

We have a strange request for you... It seems as though all three of our daughters "love" Nolan this year. They have been talking about Valentines for the past few weeks and are all worried about what to get Nolan. Can you send us a few suggestions of some little things he might like? Also, we are a bit worried that he might like one girl more than another and we were wondering if you could just keep in mind all of the girls and try to keep it fair. We don't want any broken hearts at the party. :)

Thanks & any questions please email or call us,
Crazy Mom #1, Crazy #2 and Crazy #3 (left the names off just in case someone happened to read this that might know them!)

Are they crazy or am I? Who the heck has time to sit around and worry about their 5 year old's love life? I thought it was the funniest email ever.

Here was my response:

Hi Ladies -
No worries. Your girls will get the same SpongeBob valentines that Nolan picked out for the rest of the class. Nolan hasn't mentioned anything about wanting to buy anyone a special Valentine present and I am certainly not going to encourage him at 5. :) Please don't get him anything other than what you will be purchasing for the whole class. I am worried that would embarrass him or might hurt the other little boys feelings if they didn't get a special gift from a girl.
Thanks!
Ivy

I think it's sad when parents have come down to this level. I understand that it is coming from something that they think is good - they are just trying to make sure that none of their little girls get their feelings hurt. But the truth is that love hurts sometimes and you don't get to master-mind your kids life. What happens when these girls are 13 and they don't get a carnation sent to them in homeroom class, but their best friend does? That's just life and part of growing up. You can't and shouldn't shelter your kids from it or they will never learn to deal with life's hardships. So sad that this is what is happening in the world today.

I did get a the giggles all day long about it though. One - my kid is a stud, which is hilarious. Two - these parents need to get a life. :)