It's weird when your kids know more about current events than you do. Nolan came home from school today telling me about the "new" We Are The World song. He didn't know about the original one. We talked about it and I explained to him why the first one was made and why they remade it. I hadn't really heard the new version just a part of it off the radio. He asked me if I would download it from i-tunes for him. (hilarious) He was naming all the different artists in it. Like how does he even know? Then he said "Did you know that Lil' Wayne is going to jail? But he hasn't had to go yet because he has REALLY bad teeth." Seriously? How does my kid know that some rapper is going to jail and needs dental work? We don't even really watch live TV at our house when the kids are awake so unless they were talking about that on Curious George, he did not learn about that at home! I asked him who told him all of this information and he said that all the kids were talking about it at school. Kindergartners? It was SO funny to me!!
Anyways, I downloaded the song and listened to it in the car last night for the first time. I didn't really like it at first but when I heard the part where they left in Michael Jackson, I had to choke back tears. I guess it just shocked me and saddened me instantly. Such a loss, so much magic and talent lost to drugs and society. The love in his voice was so evident and so selfless. I was truly moved to tears by the passion in the song even if it wasn't exactly what I expected. This morning I downloaded the video from i-tunes because I was trying to figure out all the voices. Scott, Nolan and Hudson all watched the video too. It made me think of being a kid and gathering around the TV to watch the world premiere of original video on MTV with my parents. It was such a vivid memory that I had not remembered until today. I was exactly Nolan's age. I wonder if years from now he will remember huddling around the laptop to watch the new one? I wonder if in 25 more years there will be a third version released and if he will watch it with his kids? Weird.