Saturday, February 13, 2010

Surprise Snow Day!

Today went much differently than I had planned but it was a wonderful surprise! I had jury duty today and was summoned to be at the courts by 7:30am. This threw a major kink in our typical weekday routine. Scott and I decided to switch boys for the morning and he would just go in to work a little late to take Nolan to school at 8am and I would take Hudson out to MiMi's on my way to court. I woke up late (must have turned off the alarm) and jumped out of bed. I was rushing around the house trying to get us dressed, packed and out the door when I realized it had snowed! I was shocked - and not just a little snow, A LOT of snow! I turned on the TV to find out if the schools were closed. (and hoping maybe the Arlington Municipal Courts would be too) They weren't; so I hopped into the car and trekked out to Mansfield to drop of Hud. I went to jury duty which was super boring and after hours of moving rooms and waiting around, I was finally dismissed. When I walked out of the courts I was surprised to see that it was still snowing. It had accumilated to about 5 inches! I decided to pull Nolan out of school early, we ran to Kroger and then went to get Hudson. Scott left work early and met us back at the house about 3:30. We bundled up the whole family and played outside. It was cold but actually really nice. It was so much fun! All of our neighbors were outside so we visited, threw snowballs at other families and all went on a walk up to the school. I loved playing with all the kids in my neighbor when I was little and it's always a little sad to me that the boys don't really have that same situation yet. Today was different though, our street was full of kids and adults all outside playing in the snow! I love how adaptable my boys are - they had just as much fun playing with Brad (our 50 year old neighbor) as they did playing with the kids! Brad even chunked a snowball at another neighbor as he drove by waving and literally hit him because his window was rolled down. It was one of those once in a lifetime shots that he just happened to make - hilarious! We also hung out for a while with another family from down the street. We have met them before but never had the chance to really get to know them. Their kids are exactly the same age as the boys, their little boy is named Hudson and he is in Kindergarten at Nolan's school, they have a dog named Daisy and a boxer and they go to the church that we just visited and are thinking about joining! We joked that we are living parallel lives just five house apart! It was a neat day to actually spend with all our neighbors - we have a great neighborhood! After all the fun in the snow the boys were tired and frost bitten. It was time to go inside and get warm! This week, Scott let the boys take a shower in our bathroom (all on their own) when I went to work out. Nolan now knows how to turn on the water and adjust the temperature. He washes himself and helps Hudson. I couldn't believe that they were such big boys. It was really cute! I got fresh warm towels out of the dryer along with feety pajamas and was ready to dry and dress the boys when they finished their "big boy" shower! We had easy hoggie sandwiches for dinner and played with the boys until bedtime. I know they had a fun day because they both went to bed without a fight and were snoring by about 8 o'clock! Scott and I finished the day with a little lazy, snuggle time on the couch watching netflix. It was one of the best days I have had with my family in a while. We needed a snow day and I think God knew it! :)