Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Mommyhood

I was reading a blog this morning that made me realize something - I really love this phase of parenthood right now.
The blog was about being a new mom and all the details of having an infant in tow for the first time. Reading it makes me giggle. I remember everything she is going through and totally envy and empathize at the same time! It’s all so new and exciting but seriously exhausting and stressful! I loved when Nolan was a baby. He was our world and every little thing he did was brilliant and amazing. You never get to do that “new” thing again which is sad to me. But when I really think back on it I am thankful I am past it! My mind was on overdrive going 24/7 for months! Not because Nolan was a hard baby or anything like that – but more because I was literally living on a learning curve! Every decision I made was really just an educated guess or uneducated guess. It’s stressful to question, research and then talk to other parents about every decision BEFORE actually doing “it”. And by “it” - I mean EVERYTHING – what products to buy, schedules to follow, books to read, doctors to use and the “best” way to do all of it!! It was SO MUCH information. I know, I *might* be a wee bit OCD about things – but I like to know what I’m doing before I do it! There are plenty of “those” moms that just kinda fly by the seat of their pants but even they have to guess, learn and figure it all out! So I think all new moms (and dads) are equally as tired during that time period.
Things get every crazier when baby #2 shows up. I remember thinking “I got this” until I realized I didn’t! Hudson was a completely different beast. All new things to learn and figure out. Which true, it wasn’t nearly as stressful and I think I definitely became one of “those” moms the second time around. But I also had this toddler to chase after at the same time which was really hard! Different nap schedules, different food, different EVERYTHING. Essentially you spend a lot of time doing the same thing three different ways – like preparing dinner for baby, for toddler and then for yourself. It was more physically exhausting than the mental exhaustion I felt as a new mom. Again though, I am so thankful that phase has come and gone!
When Hudson was about two years old, I falsely thought we were finally over the hump. We wanted to take the boys places and start to do “kid stuff” instead of “baby stuff” but quickly realized we were not ready yet. Nolan, with his million questions and analytical little self was hard to keep occupied and was mentally taxing. Hudson, well basically Hudson was just a brat. He threw tantrums about everything and then threw up because of the tantrum on a daily basis. It seemed like every activity we attempted (that was supposed to be fun) was difficult. We tried our best not to let it stop us – we still went to the park, the zoo and plenty of birthday parties but each of them was a real work-out for Scott and I. Even if we were both there it was still hard. That’s when I realized that we do not have easy going children. I look at other families and see how sweet and gentle their kiddos are and wonder why mine aren’t like that! It was another life phase that was rewarding but a lot of work!
I realized over Spring Break when we were doing things with the girls and their kids that we are really finally almost past it! Past the newness, past the tantrums, past all things baby and toddler! Nolan and Hudson were both such big kids in the group. They can run and play and I don’t have to toddle behind them every step of the way. I don’t have to hold anyone on my hip while talking to the other moms. I don’t have to pack up gear for a small army just to go somewhere. A pack of wipes in the console of the Camry is the only thing we have to have! (You know for sticky fingers, dirty faces and anything else that pops up.) A wipey is a mom’s best friend for sure! I don’t know how my mom survived without them. There is still plenty of work with school-aged children but at least the boys are finally playing better together. It’s kinda like Hud is finally catching up to Nolan which is really nice for me. They instantly have a playmate no matter where we go!
Anyways, in a year where I have spent much of my prayer time focused on my blessings this is definitely a big one for me right now! I loved having my sweet babies but I am super excited about this next stage too!