Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Komen 5K
I have participated in the Komen 5K multiple times and even did the 60 mile 3-day walk the year before we had Nolan. For some reason the scary statistics of breast cancer have always been a big concern of mine. Maybe because my great aunt Jeanine had it and is more than a 10 year survivor, maybe because I have two sisters and knew that the chances of one of us battling this disease were at 65%, or maybe because I have such a large group of amazing girlfriends. Whatever the reason, I feel like I have a calling to be a part of the cure. I have had it for a very long time - long before my Mom was diagnosed. Anytime I see an article on the subject or hear a blip on the news, I stop and read or watch it. It is just mind boggling how many women are affected by breast cancer every hour! My mom was diagnosed 6 ½ years ago while I was pregnant with Nolan. She went through a lumpectomy and 5 years of Tamoxifen but really had the best case scenario as it was detected as early as possible and was treated without the need for chemo or radiation. We felt VERY blessed that my mom went in and had her very first mammogram and it was perfect timing. So many other women have not been so fortunate. All the time I hear stories of women who are diagnosed in their 20’s or 30’s – yet our insurance still will not cover mammograms for younger women unless there is a predetermining factor. I also know there are SO many women who do not have health insurance so a mammogram is just not something that they can afford much less treat should a problem arise. This is a tragedy and have no idea what the solution is for these issues but I know that the Susan G. Komen foundation does. They are working around the clock to fix these problems along with actually funding much of the research to find a cure. I tear up just thinking about all the amazing things this organization does and all in the name of a woman who lost her life to breast cancer. Last week, my mom was once again diagnosed with “suspicious” spots on her mammogram. She will have a biopsy in the next few weeks and we are praying for only good news! It was timely that the Komen 5K was on Saturday. Being at the event in the arms of friends was such a wonderful experience. There were so many people wearing shirts in honor of brave women who are battling this terrible disease and for many more who lost their battle. Seeing the thousands of people running and walking for something that has impacted all of us was inspirational. It truly filled me with hope and love for my mom and for all the other women out there who have or will have breast cancer. We will find a cure!








