Thursday, June 28, 2012

Compliments

Recently have been “stuck” in a few situations where someone paid me a compliment and it made me really uncomfortable.  Compliments have always been hard for me.  I guess in my mind it just always seemed a little conceded to accept one.  I always avoid them or comeback with something to negate it.  I am not sure if I learned that from someone or if I just decided on my own – in any case, it’s not a good attitude to have and I really want to change it. 


I know logically that I am good a certain things; so why do I diminish it?   Like being a mom – I work hard to always try to do what’s best for the boys at all times.  If someone were to compliment me on that I should accept it and be proud.  But I don’t, I turn it into “well thanks but…” and go on to list what I did wrong or compare myself to someone.   I end up walking away from the conversation feeling worse because I am focused on the negative.  That is sad.  When I get a random compliment from a girlfriend I usually just think they are being nice – never that they actually mean it.  It’s even harder to accept one from guys now that I am single. It’s more awkward for me because I wonder if there is a motive behind it, are they flirting?!?  Then depending on my response does that make me look like I like them?  Ugh.  I don’t even know what to do with stuff like that at this point.  I have never been a single adult so this concept is weird and I find myself uuber aware of my relationship status and everyone else’ at all times – when I never really thought much about it in the past.  I think a lot of it boils down to I don’t believe or know how to accept the compliment so it’s almost like it MUST mean they really didn’t mean it.   That is sad. 


Why am I programmed like that?  Obviously I know I am not living my life to impress others or trying to show anyone up so what is wrong with accepting positive feedback?  Everyone needs reassurance and support;  a lot of that comes in the form of compliments and praises so I am missing it!  I love my friends and family so very much and their support has honestly been a lot of what has held me together over the past year.  Imagine how much better I would have felt had I really accepted and heard even half of what they said?!?!  I spend a lot of time praying for God’s will.  I want to be sold out for Him - I want to be where He wants me to be and make the choices He wants me to make!  A big part of that requires me to hear and acknowledge everything that He puts in my life!!  I also don’t want my kiddos to start doing that – they are precious and should never think anything less.  Going forward I am going to make a conscience effort to hear what people say to me, appreciate it and accept it for exactly what it is.