Friday, September 11, 2009

Mustard Meltdown

Tuesday afternoon was a complete disaster for the Mays. It was just one of those days where I just couldn't catch a break. Nolan is going to play t-ball this fall for the first time. His first practice was on Tuesday night. We had also purchased tickets for the fall dinner at his school. It was going to be hard to make it to both events; but since we had already spent $20 on the tickets I wanted to go. I left work a little early so that I could get home, get Nolan dressed, iron t-shirts for the boys and Scott. (so he could just run by home change and meet us at the field) and pack us up. I pulled out two camping chairs, made ice water bottles for the whole family, packed snacks and toys to keep Hud occupied and charged the battery for the camera. We had movies that were due back at Blockbuster by 7pm so I asked Nolan to grab his movie and I got mine and we loaded up the car. I drove up to Blockbuster only to realize that Nolan just grabbed the case without the movie. Ugh! No time to go back so we just headed on to practice. Since this was our first practice, we weren't exactly sure where we would be setting up. The coach said he would probably be at end of the park next to the horses. I pulled right up and got a great spot. I unloaded everything and let Hudson walk with us out to the field. (it was the first time without the stroller) We didn't see a team of small players anywhere so we just kept walking... ALL the way down to the other end of the park. Apparently teams already had those spots so he had to just find a place. Once we walked up (mind you both of my arms are full of all the crap we needed) I realized that I didn't get Nolan's glove. OMG! That is the MOST important thing for t-ball practice. It never even crossed my mind. I was embarrassed for little Nolan who was the only kid without a glove. It worked out though because they just had the kids practice running the bases and batting during the first half. I had to call Scott and ask him to grab it. Practice went well, Nolan is learning the basics and his coach is great! After practice we loaded everything back up and went up to the school. Everyone was hungry, hot and tired. Scott said that he didn't really want to go and that it would probably be cold and picked over since it was already 6:30 and the dinner started at 5:30. I told him that the dinner was from 5:30 to 7:00 and that I was sure lots of families were just now getting there - especially those that work. Um, let's just say I was wrong, dead wrong. Scott was right on the money. I think that we were the last family to walk through the line and all they had left were cold hot dogs and flaming hot cheetos. Not good. Hudson had a meltdown as soon as he saw the hot dog. He hates hot dogs and wouldn't even touch it. Too make matters worse I had told him in the car that we were going to Nolan's school to eat sausage and french fries. (The kid will hardly eat meat but if we tell him that the burger is sausage we can usually get a few bites out of him.) Hudson started yelling "Sausage and French Fries - I no like hot dogs!" Scott was griping about how he knew we should have just cut our losses and gone home. I looked over at Nolan and his hot dog was gone and he was asking for more. (He seriously ate the dang thing before I could even get mustard on mine!) I thought, okay I will feed Hudson some cookies from the diaper bag for now and give Nolan his hot dog. BIG MISTAKE! Hudson started throwing an even bigger fit at the fact I had just taken his untouched food. Nolan was asking for more ketchup, Hudson threw himself onto the floor and Scott started in with an "I told you so" kinda remark. It was out of control!! I slammed my hand down on the table and hit the mustard packet - which then made mustard squirt out and fly across the table and land on Scott's shirt. It certainly wasn't on purpose but Scott's eyes got huge and he was instantly SO mad. Right then he got up from the table and said "That's it! I'm leaving, this is ridiculous! I knew we shouldn't have come!" I, of course followed it up with "Well good, just go!" He got up and left since we had two cars there. I couldn't believe he actually left but he did. I was SO mad. The PTA meeting was starting so I cleaned up our mess got us the heck out of there! Nolan was crying cause he hadn't finished his 2nd hot dog and I had to pick up Hudson off the ground and carry him out screaming. It was awful. Instead of being one of those moms, we were that family! (Becca said that to me when I told her the story!) When I got home Scott wasn't there. After feeding, bathing and putting the boys to bed he came home (about an hour later). I was so mad I didn't even speak to him. This is rare - even if I am mad I at least yell at him. But not that night I was TOO mad. I still had to take the stupid movie back to Blockbuster so I grabbed it and left. At 9:00 I was finally able to take a shower and then eat some cereal for dinner. Scott and I patched things up the next day after he listened to me scold and lecture him for an hour. He knew he was in trouble so he just took it. Of course he was extra sweet the rest of the week. Jerk. :)