So last night was our 2nd grade parent/teacher meeting at Nolan’s school. It was good to meet his math teacher and learn about what they will be doing this year. When I got home I was telling Scott bits and pieces about the information and we were talking about Nolan’s homeroom teacher over dinner. She looks like she is younger than us, but she said last night she has been teaching for 16 years! So we were doing the math and what-not and then I told him how she has too older sons and then one daughter that just started kindergarten. We were talking about how hard that would be to have both boys in school and then start all over with a baby. Nolan was listening to the conversation and decided to chime in on the subject. He first asked “Do people get to decide when they want to have a baby?” Which I gave my standard response of something like “ Yes, when a mommy and daddy decide they want to have a baby they pray to God about it and ask for a baby and hopefully they get one.” He then raises his hands up and start talking (I wish I had this on video – because it was like talking to a professor about some type of well known theory or something) “Well what about when people say the baby was a surprise?” and before I could even respond he said “And here’s the part I just don’t get…HOW does that baby get into the mommy’s tummy? How does God put the baby in her stomach to start growing it?” OMG. Scott and I both just sat there and then looked at each other and then looked back at him. He had the most serious look on his face and was just waiting for a response. I just kinda floated over it with something like my original statement about praying to God and God does that part of it. He then said “So you talk to God directly?” I said yes, of course I talk to him everyday through my prayers. He then picked up his pork rib back off the dinner plate and said “I pray to ribs.” Scott and I both started laughing. He said “I love ribs and I want them for dinner every night.” So now he thinks something along the lines of just pray for whatever you want and get it. We are going to have to correct that at some point but we took the diversion and went with it. Ha ha!
Seriously?!?! Looks like we’ve got to find a book about all of this and get prepared for the next time it comes up. Scary! Not to mention Hudson was sitting right there at the dinner table too. Had I gone into some type of real response not only would we have traumatized our whole family but we also would have a four year old running around telling everyone about how babies are made. Awesome.