Thursday, January 26, 2012
Counting My Losses
I miss my old life. I miss date nights. I miss hanging out with other couples and their kiddos on a Friday night. I miss softball games and being one of the wives. I miss that secure feeling of being in a relationship. I miss dreaming of the future – a future of growing old together and becoming grandparents. I miss family outings and vacations. I miss our friends. I miss sharing details about my day and all the little insignificant things that happen in life. I miss having a team approach to everything – finances, purchases, plans, parenting. I don’t want to be the odd man out when hanging with everyone else who is married. I hate feeling like everyone else in the world has a “person” except me. I am sad that I don’t have a spouse to love me through the ups and downs of life. I am tired of feeling sad, mad, broken, pitiful. Just the thought of doing life alone is horrifying to me. I miss cuddling. I miss getting excited to cook a new recipe or try a new restaurant because the boys certainly don’t care. I miss having someone to rub my feet and make me feel better after a bad day. I miss giggling with someone about something funny that the boys do. I miss saying “we”…do you know how hard it is to change everything to “I”? I miss watching tv with someone and talking about a good episode. I miss someone keeping me in check and being teased about silly things. I hate going to church alone, sitting by myself in a pew and then not having anyone to share the awesomeness about the sermon with on the car ride home.
Day after day there is another little “something” that I realize is no longer there. The physical stuff is obvious – our home, half the furniture, family pictures… it’s a rough task to actually “split” all your possessions. But the non-physical things are what really matter – those are the things that shock me daily. It’s just all so broken and lonely. I try to focus on the good things around me. I know that I will be a better person when I come out on the other side of all of this but right now it’s just hard to see any “good” in it. I just honestly cannot believe how deep the hurt really is most of the time. A friend that went through divorce a few years ago said that it’s heartbreak to the core of who you are. I am sure very much like the sudden death of a spouse. I get that now. Except that instead of being quick and final – it drags on for months and then you still have to face that loss week after week. You constantly have the reminder that you failed, they failed… it failed. Most of the time I try to gloss it over and stay positive. No one really wants to hear about the broken. People ask how I am doing but truly they want to hear that I am “doing okay” and “taking it day by day” and “things are slowly getting better”. To hear anything else is uncomfortable for them and for me. What could possibly be said if I am honest? What can they do to really help me with any of the above losses? Nothing – I know that and they know that. Only God can pull me through it and even that is a hard concept for me to really get. Someone suggested writing down and acknowledging all of the losses from my situation which is why I started this post in the first place. They said that by writing them down and acknowledging them, as hard and as dark as that might be – I can learn from it and later mark my growth from this point. I tend to try to not dwell in the dark because it really is just too much to handle. But as I made the list I gained a different perspective on doing it. I think the real point of the exercise is to realize that the loss IS too big for me to fix on my own. No one can repair a broken heart except for the One who created it in the first place. I am trusting in the Lord to mend it and teach me as I heal. Help me to learn from the loss, accept responsibility in this divorce and truly come to grips with it so I can move forward. It’s slowly happening. I am stronger, I am learning and I am trying to hear His voice as I take each new step.