Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mamie


We lost a sweet soul this past week. Mamie was “100 and a half” as Nolan put it and she lived an amazing life. I say amazing not because of one huge thing that happened but more all of the little things she saw and experienced throughout her life. No, she wasn’t an international traveler or rich and famous – she was an ordinary woman who lived an extraordinary life. Extraordinary in that she lived through so many historical events - think of all the things she witnessed! Advances in technology, wars, civil rights, the great depression, over 50 years of marriage and just all the events within her own family. 100 years ago no one had electricity in their homes or owned cars and made just pennies for wages. Really just stop and think about how different life was back then. She was a part of the most dynamic century on Earth. That is pretty amazing. But for all the things she experienced, she was so grounded. She had a deep love for Jesus and her family. When I became a part of the family 13 years ago Mamie was in her late 80's. She still lived on her own in her little apartment in Big Spring. I remember how she would come visit for a holiday but would "have to get back home" because she and her friends had plans to go see a gospel singing over at another church. It was so cute! I feel blessed that the boys were able to know their great-great grandmother and that they will have fond memories of her. Not many people are lucky enough to experience that. Mamie out-lived all of her own brothers and sisters, all of her friends and of course her sweet husband who I never met. What a glorious day it must have been when she got to heaven. I just picture a huge reunion for her and think about how long she has waited to get there. Of course it is so sad for those she left behind but thankfully her four children are able to know without a doubt where their momma is and what she must be doing now! I love this picture of Mamie and Mema - it's one of my favorites.