Friday, August 27, 2010

Daisy

How do I even start this post? I have tried about three times now and have been unable to even write the next sentence... Daisy passed away. My precious baby girl. I know that to many people, a dog is just a dog. I understand that. I don't think I could relate being sad about losing a fish or a lizard, but I understand that there are people out there who would be. She wasn't "just a pet" to us. She was the BEST pet, a friend, a roommate, a door greater, a foot warmer...she was so many things to this family and to me.

Daisy was just this tiny little puppy when we got her. I still lived at home with my parents and she was my world. (well, our world - cause Scott and I had just been dating a few months when I got her!) We took her to Puppy Kindergarten for two months, we took her everywhere with us, she slept with me (and then us when we moved out) every night until she got to old to jump, she laid on the couch with me every night for the past twelve years, she would whimper to go outside each night as soon as I would finish putting the boys to bed, she ate whatever fell on the floor, she loved to "go" and would do a flip when you simply said the word, she was polite - never jumped up, never barked to crazy, never drank out of the toilet or got food off a counter or table, she was the best snuggler, she loved ME best, she loved to play rough with Scott, she loved tug o war and fetch, she loved Cheerios, she always had a cute collar to match the season, she was so gentle with the boys, she was there for me when my dad died, she just seemed to sense when I was sad and needed some lovin - she would come up to me and nuzzle me until I hugged her back, I have NEVER been alone in my home until now. There will no longer be dog hair on my baseboards, poop in my yard, a dog to bathe, food bowls to fill, someone curled at my feet when I'm on the couch. I am devastated. My life will never be the same - I will never have space in my heart to love a dog the way I loved Daisy. I have a husband and children who will always take first place now. The house feels empty when we come home and it overwhelms me. I know she had a great long life. I know it was time to let her go; but it's just going to be hard to adjust to the loss of something that has been a constant in our lives for so long.

I love you Daisy so very very much.